In an effort to improve problem areas of anatomy, I present to you My Anatomy Improvement Wishlist, or exercises I intend to do involving the following:
- Hands – I still have problems with fingers at foreshortened angles and the joint of the thumb to hand/wrist.
- Feet – Less troublesome than hands, but still alien to me in their funkiness.
- Faces – Specifically various facial expressions and different facial types. To help me draw people who look diverse instead of like myself. Also concentrating on the planes of the face for better understanding of how varying light defines facial features.
- Arms – Mostly the construction of the bicep/tricep area. The way these muscles interact baffles me.
- Man crotches – Don’t laugh! The way pants and clothing drape over this…complex…area of anatomy always looks too tight or just plain flat and weird the way I draw it currently.
- Man Waists – To help battle my bad habit of drawing men with feminine waists.
How will I fight these difficult areas of anatomy? With practice…and chocolate (and coffee)! I’d like to do the 100 drawings of each exercise and will probably shift my studies of life drawing towards planar breakdowns and contour exercises instead of the usual gesture and shaded drawings I’ve been doing with the Pixelovely tool. They say you have to draw something, 10,000 times to know it completely by memory. I think I’ll just try 100, for starters.
Once this month is up, I’ll probably dump the best picks from my studies here for you all to see. In the meanwhile, what areas of anatomy do you all have problems with? How do you plan on combating your problem anatomy areas?